August 31, 2009

Sushi Sundays

I'm a novice when it comes to sushi, seeing that I just started eating it about a year ago, but I've loved it ever since. My boyfriend and I just moved 5 minutes from downtown Los Angeles and one of the first tasks on his list was to buy sushi grade fish in bulk from the warehouses downtown and make his own sushi.

Neither of us have ever tried to make our own sushi before but it turned out to be pretty uncomplicated, to my surprise.

There are some obvious techniques we need to perfect (such as the stickiness of the rice and the proper cutting techniques) but overall, I was very impressed with our first attempt (although he did all the real work).

Spicy tuna rolls, spicy hand rolls, and albacore sushi made for a pretty filling dinner. I think between the two of us we ate about $100 worth of sushi if we were eating at a restaurant but all together our total for cooking at home came out to around $15...not bad!

Making sushi was definitely a fun and adventures Sunday meal, while it may require a bit more time and patience, it definitely pays off in the end. If your up for the challenge, I recommend you give it a try.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger THE BIG FISH said...

That sushi looks incredible!!! My mouth is watering just looking at those pictures.

August 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home